Friday, February 10, 2017

Orange cardamom rice pudding brulee (vegan option)

--> recette en français



    I think rice pudding is a comfort dessert most people seem to like, maybe because it reminds of childhood for some, like me. I like to make different versions of it like here or here. Today, I'm taking part to a new edition of the Battle Food and the theme chosen by Lova was "Rice Battle", I love it either in savory or sweet dishes but I really wanted to try rice pudding with citrus fruit and I chose the oranges because this is a fruit I cook too rarely. 

   We had to add a spice and I chose cardamom because this is one of my favorite spices and I thought it would go well with the orange and it did. Rice, orange and cardamom just go well all together !


   At first I wanted to make a combo of rice pudding and creme brulee, having no blowtorch the caramel layer was not as crunchy and important as in real creme brulee but just putting the rice pudding under the broiler turned out quite nice and both the top or the rice and the oranges caramelized and was crunchy. 




--> recette en français


Orange cardamom rice pudding brulee


Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 40 to 55 minutes
Resting time : 30 minutes to 1 hour
Serviggs : 2 to 3 people


- 500 ml / 17 fl. oz / 2 cups milk(s) of your choice (almond and soy for me)
- 60 ml / 2 fl. oz / 1/4 cup cream of your choice (almond for me)
- 100 g / 3,50 oz pudding rice
- 30 g / 1,05 oz whole blond rice (or another non refined sugar)
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 large orange 
- blond or brown sugar to caramelize




  • Rinse the rice twice in clear water. Cut the end of the cardamom pods and open them to take the seeds out and put aside.

  • To avoid that the milk stick to the bottom of the pan, pour cold water in it and let about 1 tbsp of water before pouring the ingredients of the recipe. 

  • In a saucepan, pour the milk, the cream, the rice, the sugar and the cardamom (seeds and ground) et bring to a boil while stirring with a wooden spoon.

  • Then reduce the heat and let simmer on low/medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes (depending of the consistency you wish for your rice pudding)

  • Pour the rice pudding into oven-proof ramekins and let it cool down.

  • When the rice is almost cold, add the orange supreme (the flesh without its skin)

  • To do so : cut the ends of the orange then slice the skin all around from the top towards the bottom (6 to 8 incisions), it will help you to take the skin off. Then cut the supreme slicing the orange between each membrane. Or you can use this technique that will let no skin at all, both techniques are fine for this recipe.  

  • Put the orange supreme nicely on top of the rice pudding, add a generous layer of blond or brown sugar and put under the broiler for about 10 minutes or use a blowtorch to caramelize (careful not to burn the orange supremes)

  • I suggest you to enjoy this rice pudding just warm but not cold and not to put it in the fridge because the rice pudding hardens and loses its creamy texture. This means you'll have to it all, too bad... 


--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipe you have pinned in Pinterest from now on. 




Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)




--> recette en français
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)